Luray High School

Home of the Bulldogs

Mr. C. Runyan
243 Bulldog Drive
Luray, Virginia 22835
Phone: 540-743-3800
Fax: 540-743-5524
Assistant Principal
Mrs. L. Pettit



Luray High School began in 1903 and was located on Court Street. Mr. Thomas G. Hamilton was the school’s first Principal. In 1930 the facility located at 14 Luray Avenue was constructed. The school housed grades one through eleven until 1950 when the twelfth grade was added.

After the construction of a new elementary school in 1961, the high school began the grade eight through twelve configurations. A gym complex and vocational complex were added in 1961, allowing for a significant expansion of the curriculum.

In 1981-82 extensive renovations took place with the addition of space housing the office, library, and cafeteria and music department. A new Art Building was created in 2001-02 when the previous facility, the Bradley house, caught on fire and was deemed unusable.
In 2003 we celebrated the 100th birthday of Luray High School. Luray High School has graduated quality citizens who have been instrumental in providing leadership in this and other communities.

In 2009 the present facility located at 243 Bulldog Drive was constructed. The 2009-2010 school session began the ninth through twelve grade configuration. (The facility located at 14 Luray Avenue became Luray Middle School with a grade configuration of sixth through eighth.)

The goal of Luray High School is to promote a spirit that generates both upright, loyal men and women who promote a positive school spirit that helps to generate achievement in scholastic and associated school activities.



Hail to thee, our Alma Mater

Hail to thee, O Luray High

With glory, laud, and honor

The Maroon and White fly high

If thy noble sons and daughters,

All with joy and rapture may,

From our hearts and souls forever,

We say Hail to Thee, Luray!


Maroon & White


The Bulldog